Shaved Beets With Toasted Cumin Vinaigrette
This recipe makes 4 servings Use golden, candy-cane (striped) or white beets or any other non-red beet for a stunningly colourful salad. These varieties tend not to bleed their colour. Red beets on their own will work fine, too.
- 1-1/2 lb (680 g) beets
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds, crushed
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) orange juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) white wine vinegar
- Peel and trim beets. Using mandolin or vegetable peeler, slice beets into paper-thin rounds. Place in bowl; set aside.
- In small skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until fragrant and popping, about 1 minute.
- Add oil, shallot, salt and pepper to skillet; cook, stirring, until shallot is softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in orange juice and vinegar; cook, stirring, until reduced to ⅓ cup, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over beets; toss to coat.
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2011