Two-Bean Beef Burrito
Portion size: 4
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 oz (227 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups (500 mL) lightly packed baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Monteray Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion and jalapeño pepper until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in beef, garlic, cumin and pepper, breaking up beef with spoon; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in kidney beans and tomato; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, mash pinto beans with 2 tbsp water; divide among tortillas. Layer each with spinach and cheese; spoon beef mixture onto centre of each. Fold in sides; fold in top and bottom to meet over filling.
- Bake, seam side down, on baking sheet in 400°F (200°C) oven until golden, about 7 minutes.
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2011