Chickpea and Swiss Chard Curry
This recipe makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely minced gingerroot
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely minced garlic
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) ground cumin
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) ground coriander
- ½ tsp (2 mL) garam masala, (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) tomato paste
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) tumeric
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped whole canned tomatoes
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped Swiss chard leaves
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook cumin seeds until beginning to pop, about 1 minute. Add onion and chilies; cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add ground cumin and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add garam masala (if using); cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cayenne pepper and turmeric; cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and salt; cook, stirring, until softened. Stir in 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) water; bring to boil. Add chickpeas; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard; simmer until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2010