This recipe makes 6 servings If you like, substitute 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh mint or dill for the dried mint; add with the parsley.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried mint
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) turmeric
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- ½ cup (125 mL) mini shell pasta
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) bean medley, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; fry celery, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, mint and turmeric, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with back of spoon; stir in lentils, tomato paste and 4-1/2 cups (1.125 L) water. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and add to soup along with beans and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2010