Blueberry Pudding Cake
This recipe makes 8 servings Tender cake on top of lots of warm saucy blueberries is a comforting and classic one-dish dessert.
- 3 cups (750 mL) cultivated blueberries or wild blueberries
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (175 mL) water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- Cake Topping:
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1 Pinch salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- In greased 8-inch (2 L) glass baking dish, toss blueberries with ⅓ cup (75 mL) of the sugar; set aside.
- Cake Topping: In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in lemon rind and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of milk. Scrape over blueberries, smoothing top. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, bring water, lemon juice and remaining sugar to boil; pour over batter. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until bubbly around edges and cake is firm to the touch, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. (Make-ahead: Set aside for up to 8 hours; reheat if desired.)