Garlic Cucumber Strips
Portion size: 6 to 8 It's best to use small pickling cucumbers, Persian or immature English cucumbers (also called baby seedless cucumbers) for this authentically garlicky salad. English cucumbers will also work but remove any seeds and the watery core.
- 12 oz (340 g) cucumbers
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sesame oil
- Cut cucumbers into 1-1/2- x ⅓- x ⅓-inch (4 cm x 8 mm x 8 mm) sticks.
- In bowl, mix cucumbers with salt; let stand for 30 minutes. Transfer to colander or sieve; press out as much liquid as possible.
- In bowl, stir vinegar with sugar until dissolved; add cucumbers and toss.
- Place garlic on cutting board, adding 1 more clove if desired. Sprinkle with pinch more salt; finely mince. With side of knife, scrape garlic back and forth on board until paste; mix into cucumber. Add oil. Let stand for 5 minutes. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.)
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2009