Hoisin chicken with beans and tomato
Cooking time: 8 minutes Preparation time: 8 minutes Makes: 2 to 3 servings
- 1 tomato
- ½ large onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) green beans, sliced into thirds, or small broccoli florets
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot chili-garlic sauce
- ½ tsp (2 mL) grated fresh ginger or 1 tsp (5 mL) bottled minced ginger
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- vegetable oil
- This is a healthy homemade version of comforting Chinese takeout. It has a thick, sticky sauce loaded with lots of fresh veggies and tender chicken. Perfect over rice.
- Slice tomato into small wedges and thinly slice onion. Prepare mushrooms and beans. In a small bowl, stir hoisin with chili-garlic sauce and ginger. Slice chicken into strips.
- Lightly oil a large, non-stick frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken and mushrooms. Stir-fry until chicken and mushrooms are golden-tinged, from 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in hoisin mixture, then add tomato, onion and beans. Cover and stir occasionally until vegetables are tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Great with steamed sticky rice.