Preparation time: 25 minutes Baking Time: 40 minutes Makes: 8 servings
- 12 slices crusty Italian bread, about ½ in. (1 cm) thick
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (500 mL) homogenized milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Black Forest ham or pepperoni
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced green onions
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 3 cups (750 mL) grated Asiago or fontina cheese or any cheese blend
- Make this easy dish – which feeds a crowd – the night before brunch, then pop it in the oven when you wake up.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Coat a 9×13-in. (3-L) baking dish with oil. Cut bread slices into quarters. In a large bowl, whisk eggs with Dijon. Then whisk in milk and seasonings. Prepare ham and onions. Slice peppers into thick strips. Place half of bread in a single layer in baking dish. Press down firmly with your hand. Pour half the egg mixture evenly overtop. Sprinkle with 1 cup (250 mL) cheese, then half the ham, peppers and onions. Top with 1 cup (250 mL) cheese. Cover with remaining bread. Press bread down. Sprinkle with remaining ham, peppers and onions. Pour egg mixture overtop. Press bread down so liquid will soak in. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake right away or cover and refrigerate up to a day.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden and centre seems set when dish is jiggled, 40 to 50 min. Let stand about 10 min before serving.