Lemon Lentil Soup
This recipe makes 6 servings Portion size: 4 to 6 A healthy vegan soup for your slow cooker.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (175 mL) dried green lentils
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable stock
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped kale or spinach
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 6 lemon wedges, (optional)
- In slow cooker, combine onion, carrots, celery, lentils, oregano, bay leaf and salt ; pour in stock and 3 cups (750 mL) water. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add kale; cover and cook on high for 20 minutes or until wilted. Discard bay leaf. Stir in lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Serve with lemon wedges (if using).
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2008