Lentil Feta Salad
Portion size: 6 This is a quick and substantial side dish.
- ½ cup (125 mL) slivered almonds
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried green lentils
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) diced cucumbers
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced red onions, or sweet onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ cup (175 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- In small dry skillet, toast almonds over medium heat, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add lentils and garlic; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain again. Discard garlic.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Add lentils, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and parsley; toss to coat. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
- Stir in almonds and all but ¼ cup (50 mL) of the feta; sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2007