Quick golden curry
Dec 1, 2008 Chatelaine 0 This article has not been rated yet. Cooking time: 16 minutes Preparation time: 15 minutes Makes: 8 cups (2 L)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) hot Indian curry paste or 1 tbsp (15 mL) Thai red curry paste
- 340- g pkg frozen cooked or uncooked peeled shrimp (optional)
- 2 400-mL cans coconut milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
- 1 deli chicken or 3 cups (750 mL) chopped cooked chicken
- 3 whole roasted red peppers
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 lime
- There’s nothing everyday about this shrimp-and-chicken entree. Silky coconut milk gives it a fast, rich creaminess, and curry paste is the only flavouring needed.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and curry paste. Stir frequently until onions soften, 5 min. Meanwhile, place shrimp in a sieve. Rinse under cold running water until any ice crystals melt. When onions are soft, stir in coconut milk and honey. Cook, stirring occasionally, 7 min.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard skin from chicken, then pull off meat and tear or cut into bite-size chunks. Slice peppers into thick pieces. Coarsely chop cilantro. Stir shrimp, chicken, peppers and peas into coconut-milk mixture.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are hot and bright pink, 4 to 7 min. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Slice lime into wedges and serve alongside curry. Great with jasmine rice.
- MAKE AHEAD
- Prepare recipe to end of step 2. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Then warm over medium heat, stirring often. When hot, add shrimp and continue with step 3. Continue with recipe as written.