Portion size: 8 This bright slaw stays crunchy and is creamy without using mayonnaise. Pack the cheese in a separate container to keep the colour and flavour of this slaw.
- 1 Granny Smith apple or red skin apple, (such as Spartan or Empire)
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) lemon juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced celery
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup (60 mL) light sour cream
- 4 tsp (18 mL) cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch celery salt
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) crumbled blue cheese
- Halve and core apple; julienne into matchstick-size pieces. In large bowl, toss apple with lemon juice. Add green and red cabbage, celery and walnuts.
- In small bowl, whisk together sour cream, vinegar, pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and celery salt ; pour over salad and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Sprinkle with blue cheese.
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2007