Chicken, nectarine and plum stir-fry
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 8 minutes Makes: 4 Servings
- ¼ cup (50 mL) plum, hoisin or honey-garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy or teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dark sesame oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) hot red-chili flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 ripe, firm nectarines or peaches
- 2 ripe, firm plums
- 2 cups (500 mL) snow peas or snap peas
- 4 green onions
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh mint, basil or parsley (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk plum sauce with soy, cornstarch, sesame oil, chili flakes and garlic until cornstarch is dissolved. Slice chicken into thin, bite-size strips. Remove and discard pits from nectarines and plums, then cut into thin wedges. Trim snow peas and pull off any tough strings. Thickly slice onions diagonally.
- Lightly coat a large frying pan or wok with oil, then set over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Stir-fry until golden-tinged, 4 to 6 min. Add plums and nectarines. Stir constantly until fruit begins to soften, about 2 min. Stir sauce and pour overtop. Add snow peas and green onions. Continue stirring until chicken is cooked and snow peas are tender-crisp, about 2 more min. Sprinkle with mint. Delicious over rice and best eaten the day it’s made.