Chinese Chicken Salad
- 4 pieces fresh ginger, coin-sized
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 green onions, 2 crushed and 4 cut into matchsticks
- 1 small star anise
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 cups water
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 romaine heart, finely shredded
- 2 heads endive, finely shredded
- handful snow peas, cut into matchsticks
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp minced red chili (optional)
- ⅛ tsp toasted black sesame seeds
- Combine ginger with garlic, 2 crushed green onions, star anise and five-spice powder with water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 min. Set a steamer above the mixture and steam the chicken breasts for 45 min. Set the chicken aside until its cool enough to handle, then shred the meat with your fingers, discarding bones.
- Combine chicken with remaining 4 sliced green onions, romaine, endive, snow peas, carrot, cilantro, chili and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Toss with as much Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing as you like.
- Ingredients for dressing - 3 tbsp hoisin sauce, ⅓ cup cold-pressed untoasted-sesame oil, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, ¼ cup water
- Whisk hoisin with oil, vinegar and water in a small bowl. Use right away or store in a jar and refrigerate up to a week.
- Cold-pressed untoasted-sesame oil can be found in some health food stores. You can substitute extra-virgin olive oil.