Wheat Berry and Chickpea Salad With Garam Masala Dressing
- Wheat Berry and Chickpea Salad With Garam Masala Dressing
- Wheat berries are whole, unprocessed wheat kernels that have a pleasant bite when cooked and make a hearty side dish or light lunch. To save prep time, cook the wheat berries in advance and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheat berries
- 4 cups (1 L) broccoli florets, (about 1 small head)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) liquid honey
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced red onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) torn fresh cilantro
- In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook wheat berries, covered, until chewy on the outside with a soft centre, about 1 hour; let cool.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli in steamer over boiling water; cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes; set aside and let cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, garam masala, honey, salt and pepper. Stir in wheat berries, broccoli, chickpeas, onion and cilantro; toss to combine.