Shrimp and Dill Salad Cucumber Bites
Serves: 24 pieces
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Shrimp Salad:
- 1 pkg (340 g) small cooked frozen shrimp, thawed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- 1 pinch pepper
- Using vegetable peeler, peel off strips of cucumber skin lengthwise to create stripes; cut crosswise into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick slices. Using melon baller or teaspoon, scoop out about 1 tsp (5 mL) pulp from centre of each slice, leaving base intact. Sprinkle slices with salt; invert onto paper towel-lined tray and let drain for 30 minutes.
- Shrimp Salad: In bowl, stir together shrimp, mayonnaise, dill, lemon rind and juice, and pepper. Spoon into cucumber hollows.
- Additional information : Variations
- Crab and Mango Salad Cucumber Bites: Omit Shrimp Salad. Substitute 1 pkg (200 g) frozen crabmeat, thawed and squeezed dry; 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced peeled mango;1/4 cup (50 mL) mayonnaise; 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced jalapeño pepper; 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice; and pinch each salt and pepper.
- Greek Salad Cucumber Bites: Omit Shrimp Salad. Substitute 1/2 cup (125 mL) each finely diced sweet red and green pepper; 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled feta cheese; 1/4 cup (50 mL) each finely diced red onion and black olives; 1 tbsp (15 mL) each extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar; 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard; 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano; and pinch each salt and pepper.
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Bites: Omit Shrimp Salad. Substitute half pkg (250 g pkg) cream cheese, softened, and 2 tbsp (25 mL) sour cream. Spoon into cucumber hollows. Top each with small piece smoked salmon. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh chives.
- Sour Cream and Caviar Cucumber Bites: Omit Shrimp Salad. Divide 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream evenly among cucumber hollows. Top each with scant 1/4 tsp (1 mL) caviar.