Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Portion size 4 to 6
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 4 chorizo sausages or mild Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine or sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 can (28oz/796mL) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- 1 pkg (250 g) frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken and sausages. Transfer to slow cooker. Drain any fat from pan.
- Add remaining oil to skillet; cook onions, celery, red pepper, garlic, paprika, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper until lightly golden, about 8 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add wine to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water; cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours and chicken cubes are still whole. Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in okra and parsley; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.