Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups (750 mL) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 4 tsp (18 mL) oyster sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) sesame oil
- pinch pepper
- 4 large heads Shanghai bok choy, (about 500 g), quartered
- In large nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms; sauté until golden and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk together broth, oyster sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil and pepper; pour into skillet. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan of boiling lightly salted water, cook bok choy until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain well and transfer to plate; top with mushroom sauce.