Chicken Tikka Masalad
- Spiced Lemon Dressing:
- ¼ cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- 4 tsp (18 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated or pressed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) garam masala
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (60 mL) plain Balkan-style yogurt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each garam masala and sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 450 g boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets
- 2 sweet red, yellow and/or orange peppers, quartered
- 1 large red onion, cut crosswise in ½-inch (1 cm) rings
- 1 naan
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 16 cups (3.8 L) chopped romaine lettuce
- Spiced Lemon Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, honey, mustard, ginger, garlic, garam masala, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil. Set aside. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 5 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, and whisk, before serving.)
- Salad: In large bowl, stir together yogurt, garam masala, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Add chicken, turning to coat. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
- In separate bowl, toss together sweet peppers, red onion and ¼ cup of the dressing; reserve remaining dressing.
- Place chicken on greased grill over medium-high heat. Reserving excess dressing from bowl, transfer sweet peppers and red onion to grill. Close lid and grill, turning chicken and vegetables once and brushing vegetables with reserved dressing, until chicken is no longer pink inside and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to cutting board; cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, brush both sides of naan with oil; place on greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill, turning once, just until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Chop chicken, sweet peppers, red onion and naan into bite-size pieces. In separate large bowl, combine chicken, sweet peppers, red onion, naan, lettuce and remaining dressing; toss to coat.
- Tip from The Test Kitchen: No salad spinner? Shake as much water from the washed greens as you can, then spread them onto a tea towel and roll it up gently. The towel will absorb water while keeping the lettuce from wilting.
- Change it up: Shrimp Tikka "MaSalad"
- Substitute 450 g jumbo shrimp (21 to 24 count), peeled and deveined, for the chicken. Cook on greased grill over medium-high heat until shrimp are pink and opaque throughout, about 4 minutes.