Streusel-Topped Strawberry Galette
- 2 lb (907 g) Strawberries, hulled and halved
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) strawberry jam
- ¼ cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (60 mL) ground almonds
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coarse sugar
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup (175 mL) Ice water, (approx)
- Almond Streusel:
- ½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cold butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) sliced almonds
- Pastry: In bowl, mix together flour, sugar and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in large crumbs. Drizzle with water, tossing with fork until dough comes together and adding up to 2 tbsp more water if needed. Shape into disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Almond Streusel: In bowl, stir flour with sugar. Using fingers, rub in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds. Set aside.
- Toss together strawberries, jam, granulated sugar and cornstarch; set aside.
- On large piece of parchment paper, roll out dough to 17-inch (43 cm) circle. Transfer dough and paper to large baking sheet; sprinkle with ground almonds, leaving 3-inch (8 cm) border. Scrape strawberry mixture onto almonds.
- Fold over pastry edge to make 12-inch (30 cm) round. Trim off excess parchment paper. Sprinkle streusel over strawberries.
- Mix egg yolk with 2 tsp water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in bottom third of 375ºF (190°C) oven until golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool on pan on rack.