Classic Chili Sauce
- 8 cups (2 L) chopped peeled tomatoes, about 1.5 kg
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) white vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped sweet green peppers
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar, (approx)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped red finger chili pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard seeds
- ½ tsp each celery seeds, ground cloves and cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each ground ginger and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper, (approx)
- In large heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine tomatoes, onions, red peppers, vinegar, green peppers, celery, sugar, chili pepper, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, celery seeds, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil, stirring often; reduce heat and simmer briskly, stirring often, until thickened, saucy and mixture is reduced to just over 6 cups, about 1 hour. Add up to ¼ cup more sugar and increase cayenne pepper to taste, if desired.
- Pack into 6 hot (sterilized) 1-cup (250 mL) canning jars with tight-fitting lids, leaving ½ inch (1 cm) headspace. Scrape down sides of jars with nonmetallic utensil to remove any air bubbles. Cover with lids. Screw on bands until resistance is met; increase to fingertip tight.
- Transfer to boiling water canner; boil for 10 minutes. Turn off heat. Uncover and let jars stand in canner for 5 minutes. Lift up rack. Using canning tongs, transfer jars to cooling rack; let cool for 24 hours.