Quick Chorizo and Mixed Bean Stew
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 450 g fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 can (540 mL) no-salt-added white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (540 mL) no-salt-added mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed baby spinach
- In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook chorizo and onion, breaking up chorizo with wooden spoon, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, paprika and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in kidney beans, mixed beans, broth and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes.