Kale and quinoa salad
- 1⅓ cups plus ½ cup water
- ⅔ cup quinoa, any colour
- 4 cups chopped kale, center ribs and stems removed
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced into 2 inch lengths
- 1 can cannellini or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp basil pesto
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine 1⅓ cups (325 mL) of water and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Pour ½ cup (125 mL) of water into a large saucepan. Layer the kale, red pepper and cannellini beans in the pan-do not stir. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes (peek once to ensure the water does not completely cook away) or until the red pepper is tender and the beans are hot. Remove from the heat and drain away any remaining water.
- Stir the pesto into the quinoa. Add the quinoa and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the Parmesan cheese to the kale mixture; toss well. Spoon the quinoa mixture into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve