Chickpeas With Pearl Onions, Artichokes and Roasted Red Peppers
This recipe makes 6 servings
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 1 bag (10 oz/284 g) white pearl onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- On baking sheet, broil red peppers, turning occasionally, until blackened all over, about 12 minutes. Remove to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel, seed and cut into ¼-inch (5 mm) wide strips. Set aside.
- In saucepan of boiling water, blanch onions for 1 minute; drain and rinse under cool water. Peel and transfer to skillet. Add oil and ½ cup (125 mL) water; bring to boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains and onions are tender and golden, about 12 minutes. Sprinkle with half of the salt.
- Add reserved peppers, chickpeas and artichokes; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Toss with parsley, oil, vinegar, lemon rind, lemon juice, pepper and remaining salt.
- Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2010