Fresh strawberry lemonade
Jun 1, 2006 Chatelaine 0 Preparation time: 10 minutes Makes: 4½ cups (1.125 L)
- 2 to 3 lemons
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 cups (750 mL) ice-cold water
- ice cubes
- Ripe strawberries add a rosy hue to lemonade, and because of their natural sweetness, strawberries cut down on the amount of sugar you would otherwise have to add.
- Finely grate 1 tsp (5 mL) peel from lemons. Squeeze out ⅔ cup (150 mL) juice. Place strawberries, peel, sugar and 1 cup (250 mL) water in a blender. Blend until puréed.
- Strain through a sieve into a large pitcher. Stir in lemon juice and remaining 2 cups (500 mL) water. If mixture is too thick, stir in more water or lemon juice. Pour into glasses and top with ice cubes. Lemonade tastes best the same day it’s made.
- Tipsy Lemonade
- Prepare lemonade as above, then stir in ⅓ cup (75 mL) vodka or gin and 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange-flavoured liqueur. Taste and add more, if you like. Cheers!