Saucy Strawberry Cake
- 4 cups (1 L) hulled strawberries, quartered
- ¼ cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- In saucepan, bring strawberries, granulated sugar and 1 tbsp water to boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Whisk cornstarch with 2 tsp water; stir into berry mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 20 seconds. Scrape into greased 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish. Set aside.
- While strawberries are cooking, in large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter, vinegar and vanilla; stir into flour mixture just until combined.
- Scrape batter over strawberry mixture, spreading evenly. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until centre of cake appears dry and no longer jiggles, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.