Roasted Butternut Squash and Cheddar Gratin
Author: Canadian Living
- 1 large butternut squash, about 2kg, peeled, seeded and cut in ¾-inch (2 cm) cubes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced leek, white and light green parts only
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded old Cheddar cheese
- In large bowl, toss together squash, oil and ¼ tsp each of the salt and pepper; arrange in single layer on lightly greased foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast on bottom rack of 450°F (230°C) oven, tossing once, until tender and edges are light golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to greased 8-cup (2 L) baking dish.
- While squash is roasting, in saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook leek, garlic and 1 tsp of the thyme, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, mustard, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the Cheddar.
- Pour leek mixture over squash. (Makeahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to
- hours. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before continuing with recipe.) Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar and thyme. Cover and bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 30 minutes; uncover and bake until top is browned, 10 to 15 minutes.