Dec 1, 2008 Chatelaine 0 Cooking time: 12 minutes Preparation time: 10 minutes Makes: 4 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb (500 g) ground pork or beef
- 28- oz (796- mL) can plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 71/2- oz (213- mL) can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano and thyme leaves
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 454- g pkg coleslaw mix or ½ cabbage
- Lightly coat a wok or large saucepan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onion and crumble in pork. Using a fork, stir frequently to keep meat crumbly until it’s almost cooked through, 3 to 4 min. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Stir often until flavour develops, about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, slice green pepper into thin strips. If using a cabbage, thinly slice. Add pepper, cabbage or coleslaw mix to pan and stir often, uncovered, until cabbage is tender, 4 to 5 min. Taste and add salt if needed. It’s good on rice or mashed potatoes, or wrapped in a tortilla.